Look, an on-time recap.
LIST OF NEWSWORTHY
30 in 30
Crini came up with the idea to start 30 books in 30 days since we’re so good at it already and I decided to participate. Turns out, the fear of having 30+ books on your currently reading really puts things in perspective and you end up reading whenever you can to keep that number down haha. It was a lot of fun but also a bit nerve-wracking? The only downside is that now I have so many reviews left to write. Slowly catching up, though because I really like knowing details about what I thought about a book instead of just yelling about how good it is.
Wow, this Ramadan is so chill? Although I haven’t been feeling too well since the last week of May with random stomach aches and this when I wanted to resume my daily walks. Anyway, the weather has been so pleasant that it’s barely hot even in the afternoon, but only if you don’t go outside so the fasts aren’t that difficult this time around. The only thing I miss is getting uninterrupted sleep all night.
Four is the new twenty haha.
- New Girl – I can’t believe this show has ended. The last season was all kinds of amazing.
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.D. – This season is fucking ruthless on the team and I’m loving that but also cannot handle it, please stop.
- The Flash – I’m just ? about the season finale because I feel like it totally missed the mark despite being Inception-like. The only thing I’m glad about is the reveal of the Mystery Girl even though her name is LOL, yeah nope.
- Killing Eve – I MAY NEVER RECOVER BECAUSE OF THE LAST 30 SECONDS OF THE SEASON FINALE. What in the world, show? I love it, though and I cannot with just how unpredictable it is. 10/10 would recommend.
- Avengers: Infinity War (7/10) – I mean, it’s an entertaining movie but I just couldn’t take Thanos or his ‘responsibility’ seriously. Years and years worth of build-up for this? Nah. But you gotta love how this movie came for everyone’s favorites, that was a ballsy move despite everything and I loved all the team-ups and how Thor single-handedly won this movie.
LIST OF READS
Best reading month in terms of quantity this year, yay!
- To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo – This was basically a super fun standalone fantasy and dark, I had a good time.
- America Vol. 2: Fast and Fuertona by Gabby Rivera, Joe Quinones, Flaviano, Stacey Lee – I think it nicely tied up everything. I’m glad it exists even if it’s nothing extraordinary and Jen Bartel’s art is always worth it.
- What If It’s Us by Adam Silvera, Becky Albertalli – Man, I had such high hopes from this and I ended up liking it, not loving.
- Isola #2 by Brenden Fletcher, Karl Kerschl – Kind of slow-paced for a comic series but still gorgeous.
- Ragdoll by Daniel Cole – I’m surprised what made Ragdoll great wasn’t the serial killer but the actual murders and the detectives tasked with catching the killer.
- All-New Wolverine Vol. 4: Immune by Tom Taylor, Leonard Kirk – Probably my favorite volume after The Four Sisters? Such good wholesome content combined with very traumatizing stuff.
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee – Such a fun book that also addresses some serious topics. I can’t believe this only came out last year because it somehow feels like it’s been out way longer.
- A New Journal by Brenda Clough – This is essentially a historical murder mystery and I always like those.
- Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 2: Masks by Kelly Thompson, Leonardo Romero – OMG, the Wolverine/Hawkeye team-up ended up being everything.
- Fault Lines by Marie Brennan – A great follow-up to the introduction, I’m sure this will only get better.
- Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire – All I have to say about this is in my review which I’m actually super proud of.
- Baby Shower by Cassandra Khaw – Much more of a filler but still interesting.
- The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones – THE ART! Stunning and I loved Black Bolt himself, too.
- The Gauntlet by Michael R. Underwood – Kris shows off their dueling skills and I love them even more now.
- Trade Deal by Malka Ann Older – Trouble in paradise or well, Twaa-Fei, noooo.
- Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren – I’ve been hearing so many good things about Roomies so I decided to check this out when I saw it as download on Edelweiss. It’s a fun read with a Korean American love interest.
- Summer Skin by Kirsty Eagar – Holy shit, this book dismantles so many misconceptions when it comes women and sex that it’s hard not to love it.
- Spiraling by Marie Brennan – Why is everything going to hell, aah.
LIST OF BOOK ACQUISITIONS
I tried, okay LOL.
- To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
- Medusa Uploaded by Emily Devenport
- Yumi by Renée Ahdieh
- The Lays of Anuskaya by Bradley P. Beaulieu
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
- This is Kind of an Epic Love Story by Kheryn Callender
- The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
- The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
- The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
- Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen
- A Man of Shadows by Jeff Noon
- Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire
- The Half-Drowned King by Linnea Hartsuyker
- A New Journal by Brenda Clough
- Fault Lines by Marie Brennan
- Baby Shower by Cassandra Khaw
- Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren
- We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
- Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- The Gauntlet by Michael R. Underwood
- Trade Deal by Malka Ann Older
- Spiraling by Marie Brennan
- The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi
- Summer Skin by Kirsty Eagar
- Barbed Wire Heart by Tess Sharpe
Finally getting back into the habit and man, I missed music in my life.
How was your May?
Ugh, every time I try to walk, my stomach hurts, too. I hope we both feel better this month!
I’m so glad you enjoyed Gentleman’s Guide and Down Among the Sticks and Bones. Your review was great. 🙂
Definitely curious what you’ll think of We Are Okay.
My May was super busy but also a lot of fun, for the most part. Our wrap-up post is kinda long, haha.
Amaris (email@example.com) says
I love the All-New Wolverine series by Tom Taylor!!! I forget about it after reading volume two but I’m so excited to continue since you loved the fourth one!
I’ve been so slow to catch up with this season’s The Flash, and I hate to say I think it’s because it’s not as good anymore 🙁