Oh look, I failed at blogging regularly again. Totally not giving up, though.
LIST OF NEWSWORTHY
Work and More Work
October was basically work and IELTS kicking my ass and then November was work kicking my ass and me kicking IELTS’ ass. I remember spending the last week November basically working and online shopping simultaneously; most of it not even books. I’m hoping to spend a relatively chill December so let’s see but I might just have to do GRE thanks to my choice of science major and then yeah, might not even get that and just a whole lot more stress instead. No wonder I’ve been so lax about doing something about Master’s and also, if I don’t try I won’t possibly have to see myself fail, right? Thankfully, those days are over but I still feel panicky just thinking about applying to schools and whatnot.
What’s a Month without Feels
I still haven’t recovered since the release of Pacific Rim: Uprising trailer in October. I seriously haven’t been this excited for a movie before. Definitely need to do a rewatch soon. In general, though 2018 is looking so good in terms of movie releases. Other than that, Kate Daniels and X-23 are my new favorite characters and they’re both professional killers. I see a theme emerging here, ha.
I watched most of these shows in October and only remember watching The Flash and Doctor Who in November. What an epic burnout, huh.
- Yuri!!! On ICE – Finally rewatched it with Crini and it remains the best.
- How to Get Away with Murder – It’s been over a month and I’m still side-eyeing Connor’s new hair which is pretty much what I remember from the season premiere. Gotta catch up!
- This is Us – Oh my god, I love the Pearsons so much and by Pearsons, I mean Randall Pearson and family. I’ve only watched the pilot as yet and obviously remember crying (at this point, it’d be alarming if an episode of this show didn’t leave me in tears).
- The Big Bang Theory – I totally called it! I do think it’s gotten better and I always need a funny show in my life so definitely not stopping watching it anytime soon.
- Fresh Off the Boat – Again, only the season premiere which was great especially the coming out, aah.
- Supergirl – I loved that Mon-el is gone but I hate how they made Kara into a whiny mess because of it so yeah, the premiere was not much fun to watch.
- iZombie – I think I watched one episode on a whim? Still have a few left of the season and in no hurry to finish but it’s fun to watch.
- Stranger Things – WORTH IT FOR STEVE HARRINGTON’S CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT ALONE. And of course, all the kids.
- Travelers – I read so many good things about this show here and there that I was compelled to watch it and only managed to watch the pilot as of yet haha. It has quite an interesting premise so I’m hoping it holds up.
- Jane the Virgin – I love this show! I’m so glad it’s back and it’s as great as ever. The Villanuevas just kill me.
- Doctor Who – I’m loving the Eleventh Doctor! Is it too soon to say? I’m about 8 episodes into season 5. LOL at Rory, though (and his apparent ‘glow up’ on DC’s Legends of Tomorrow just cracks me up now).
- The Flash – THE ONLY SHOW I CARE ABOUT KEEPING UP WITH AND ABSOLUTELY LOVE. It’s been such a great season so far and I love everything about it except the absence of Wally and the addition of Ralph Dibny on the show. Ugh. Love that the villains this season are a husband/wife team so I naturally and badly need a few West-Allens/DeVoes face-offs. Also, eh at the actual wedding (they could’ve just let it happen the first time around FFS) and the crossover in general but oh my god, bisexual Leonard Snart was everything.
I totally thought I’d get better at watching movies and yet.
- Back to the Future (8/10) – 80s movies are in a league of their own. This was probably the second most fun I’ve watched next to The Breakfast Club and Crini was relieved when I liked it haha.
LIST OF READS
I’ve finally been in the mood to read comics and I’m glad because so many to catch up on! Might even finally start Saga in December, who can say. Also, it’s been hard to focus on anything except Kate Daniels when it comes to books so I’m glad that audiobooks and comics are helping.
- The Murders of Molly Southbourne by Tade Thompson – SO GOOD, SO FUCKED UP, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
- The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion by Margaret Killjoy – This was such a good book with squad goals. Totally recommend!
- Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews – This book revealed all the hidden potential and started making use of it which I totally approved of.
- Josie and the Pussycats #8 by Marguerite Bennett, Audrey Mok – Eh at the Archies, they can just go away. I need the panels to focus more on the Pussycats, OKAY.
- Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews – I’m probably going to yell about this book forever because the GLADIATOR STYLES FIGHTING WAS EVERYTHING.
- Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews – BEST VILLAINESS OF THE SERIES, THAT IS ALL.
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde – So much fun! I’m glad there are so many books in this series because it’s like a bookworm’s dream.
- Monstress Vol. 2: The Blood by Marjorie Liu, Sana Takeda – I’d like to die because of all the revelations.
- Paper Girls Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang – Hell yeah to this! I just love these girls.
- The Twilight Pariah by Jeffrey Ford – This was my last October/first November read and it managed to creep me out a bit so success.
- The Wicked + The Divine: 455 AD #1 by Kieron Gillen, André Lima Araújo – This had one of the most violent panels I’ve ever seen in a comic and whoa, impressive af.
- America Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez by Gabby Rivera, Joe Quinones – I definitely expected much more from this than I got and still have hopes it improves, but I enjoyed it especially the Amerikate team-up (admit that they’re endgame already, Marvel).
- Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 1: Anchor Points by Kelly Thompson, Leonardo Romero – I loved the bright vibe that this series has going on and so excited that volume 2 is out in December because need more Kate Bishop with self-depreciating humor in my life.
- Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews – Slayed me for sure.
- X-23: Innocence Lost by Craig Kyle, Christopher Yost – A heartbreaking introduction to X-23.
- X-23: Target X by Craig Kyle, Christopher Yost – X-23 spouting ways to kill in a classroom will always be a classic. The male gaze-y art was too much for a 14-year-old Laura, though. Ugh.
- X-23: Women of Marvel #1 by Marjorie Liu, Filipe Andrade, Nuno Plati – This was a trippy one-shot.
- Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson – I feel so much more learned in space science now haha. Also, I’d like Neil deGrasse Tyson to narrate more books, please.
- X-23 Vol. 1: The Killing Dream by Marjorie Liu, Will Conrad – One of the best opening panels I’ve ever seen, LOVE.
- Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews – I got a sea trip in this series and it only solidified my love for it. Also, shapeshifter politics is like the best politics haha.
- Fence #1 by C.S. Pacat, Johanna the Mad – This was so great! I’ve high expectations from this series because of the hate-to-love trope.
- Daken/X-23: Collision by Marjorie Liu, Daniel Way – Eh at Daken but he’s bisexual so I kind of want to read his comics. X-23 remains the most badass.
- Words on the Move by John McWhorter – So informative and fun! I definitely recommend especially if languages makes you curious in any way.
- Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews – GAMECHANGER. I was actually hoping this would happen but wasn’t really expecting to and it did and left me feeling overjoyed.
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (reread) – OMFG the short stories. So short and yet so good.
- X-23 Vol. 2: Chaos Theory by Marjorie Liu, Sana Takeda, Phil Noto – The first arc AKA X-23/Wolverine dynamic killed me and I declare it as the best X-23 arc as yet.
LIST OF BOOK ACQUISITIONS
Things got a little out of hand (read: I got double the usual number of books) in November mainly because I got so many comics.
- History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
- Borrowed Souls by Chelsea Mueller
- Josie & the Pussycats #8 by Marguerite Bennett, Audrey Mok
- Josie & the Pussycats #9 by Marguerite Bennett, Audrey Mok
- Miles Morales by Jason Reynolds
- Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
- Monstress, Vol 2: The Blood by Marjorie Liu, Sana Takeda
- Paper Girls, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, Matthew Wilson
- East of West, Vol 1: The Promise by Jonathan Hickman, Nick Dragotta
- The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo
- Night of Cake and Puppets by Laini Taylor
- The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
- Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling, Jim Kay
- Evil is a Matter of Perspective by
- The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
- Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews
- Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde
- Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
- Mechanical Failure by Joe Zieja
- The Twilight Pariah by Jeffrey Ford
- Barbary Station by R.E. Stearns
- The Circle by Sara Bergmark Elfgren, Mats Strandberg
- Fire by Sara Bergmark Elfgren, Mats Strandberg
- The Key by Sara Bergmark Elfgren, Mats Strandberg
- Words on the Move by John McWhorter
- America Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez by Gabby Rivera, Joe Quinones
- Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill
- The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard
- The Real-Town Murders by Adam Roberts
- Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill
- Vision Vol. 2: Little Better Than a Beast by Tom King, Michael Walsh, Gabriel Hernandez Walta
- Mockingbird Vol. 2: My Feminist Agenda by Chelsea Cain, Kate Niemczyk
- Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 1: Anchor Points by Kelly Thompson, Leonardo Romero
- Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! Vol. 2: Don’t Stop Me-ow by Kate Leth, Brittney Williams
- Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! Vol. 3: Careless Whisker(s) by Kate Leth, Brittney Williams
- X-23 Vol. 1: The Killing Dream by Marjorie Liu, Will Conrad
- X-23 Vol. 2: Chaos Theory by Marjorie Liu, Sana Takeda, Phil Noto
- X-23 Vol. 3: Don’t Look Back by Marjorie Liu, Sana Takeda, Phil Noto
- X-23: Innocence Lost by Craig Kyle, Christopher Yost
- X-23: Target X by Craig Kyle, Christopher Yost
- X-23: Women of Marvel #1 by Marjorie Liu, Filipe Andrade, Nuno Plati
- The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 5: Imperial Phase I by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, Kevin Wada, Matt Wilson
- The Wicked + The Divine: 455 AD by Kieron Gillen, André Lima Araújo
- Musketeer Space by Tansy Rayner Roberts
- The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
- Introvert Doodles by Maureen Marzi
- Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys
- Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews
- World of Fire by James Lovegrove
- Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews
- The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
- Trust No Aunty by Maria Qamar
- Autonomous by Annalee Newitz
- Blood Binds the Pack by Alex Wells
- Daken/X-23: Collision by Marjorie Liu, Daniel Way
- The Dry by Jane Harper
- All-New Wolverine Vol. 1: The Four Sisters by Tom Taylor, David Lopez, David Navarrot
- All-New Wolverine Vol. 2: Civil War II by Tom Taylor, Ig Guara, Marcio Takara
- All-New Wolverine Vol. 3: Enemy of the State III by Tom Taylor, Nik Verella
- The Dire King by William Ritter
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer
- Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II by G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona, Takeshi Miyazawa
- Ms. Marvel Vol. 7: Damage Per Second by G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa
- The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
- Conspiracy of Ravens by Lila Bowen
- The Starlit Wood by Dominik Parisien, Navah Wolfe (ed.)
I’ve only included the November playlist but the top three albums are what I listened to in October and loved especially GJan’s debut album. November was basically me listening to Tove Lo’s Blue Lips on repeat. Such a good album and I love the concept behind this and her earlier album, Lady Wood (definitely plan on doing a 2017 music post so I’ll talk about it more in it).
How was your fall?